HANDLEBAR HAPPY HOUR
BIKEIOWA has organized several Handlebar Happy Hours (HHH) to celebrate Bike Month 2023. Ride with old friends and meet new ones. See YOU there!
Sully's Irish Pub
is our host for this Handlebar Happy Hour.
Sully’s is the oldest Irish bar in the Des Moines metro area! Sully’s was established in 1977 and has been Des Moines’ premier Irish Pub serving cold beer ever since.
Sully’s is known for the best Bloody Mary's in town. Located at the corner of 63rd & Grand, Sully's is near Walnut Creek Trail
, Sands Volleyball, Erik's Bike Shop and Valley Junction.
They offer daily food and drink specials during the week and Happy Hour prices 3-7pm Monday-Wednesday, 11am-6pm Friday and all day/night on Sundays. Check out our menu at http://www.sullysdesmoines.com/menu
. Everything is made fresh to your order, we don't believe in frozen!
HHH specials are $3 Fireballs, $3 Guinness, $10 appetizers which include our awesome wings, cheese curds, fried spicy pickles, Irish Nachos & Fried Jalapenos.
Stay until the end and win some HHH swag. Must be present to win!
Sully's $25 gift card
IMPORTANT BIKE MONTH DATES
WHAT IS BIKE MONTH?May is National Bike Month and is celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
BIKEIOWA co-hosted the first organized "Bike to Work Day" on May 16th 2003
. That grew to "Bike to Work Week" in 2005
and the Des Moines Bicycle Collective took over in 2011
to create "Bike Month" (with focus in the Des Moines metro) as we know it today. View past Bike to Work
and "Bike Month
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH?Bike Month is so much more than riding your bike to work.
- It's about riding from here to there. Riding around the block, riding to get coffee, riding to work, date-night ride, riding on a trail or road, riding to get/stay in shape or running errands.
- It's about inspiration - riding further and encouraging others to bike.
- It's about riding your bike whether if be for fun, fitness or with family and/or friends.
- It's about riding your bike places it’s never seen or take your bike places you’d usually see by car.
- It's about your wellness, happiness and community wellbeing.
- It's about safer streets and connected communities and a healthier planet
- It's about exploration and finding new ways to get from here to there.
Invite friends and co-workers to ride with you. Help them get their bike, clothes and gear ready. Offer advice and assistance to increase their confidence. Educate them on bicycle etiquette for riding on trails, roads, with other cyclists, motorists and others on the trails. And have Fun!
Iowa is a GREAT place to ride ALL year long and BIKEIOWA has several dedicated pages in their "Resources" menu section for commuting and promoting bicycle-friendliness.